Tuesday, June 21, 2011

St. Andrews and good ol' Dundee

Me with Isla swinging at the park in St. Andrews
After leaving Crail, we headed to the town of St. Andrews, known for it's university, golf course, and the place where Kate and William met. We spent a bit of time playing at a park (may I add that playgrounds in the UK are far cooler than parks in the USA. It is probably because they aren't afraid of getting sued like parks in America), and then we headed to the old 13th century St. Andrews Cathedral. Sitting right on the sea front here, the ruins of this gigantic cathedral spread across the most perfect green grass. I walked along the parts of the cathedral imagining what this spectacular edifice must have been like back in its day. I was even tempted to lay down in an old, stone, opened coffin...I don't know what part of me desired this, but I thought it might be interesting to see if I could fit.
Me with the ruins of St. Andrews Cathedral

My Incredible family! Andrew, Adam, Heidi, and Isla. I couldn't ask for better hosts.
After prancing around the ruins imagining I was some old saint making a pilgrimage, we headed to the city for some lunch. I enjoyed seeing all of the uniformed college students swarming the food joints. I wondered if they could tell that I was an American tourist. If the camera bag didn't give it away, I'm sure the fact that I tried to pay for my sandwich with Euros instead of Pounds did me in. We had the most delicious Ice cream in St. Andrews. It is the home of fifty something flavors including Sky Blue (I was intrigued as to who decided to put a taste to a color). My delicious flavor was Orange Marscapone Sherbet...Yes, it tasted even better than it sounds. It is now on my top five for best Ice cream flavors. 
After St. Andrews, we went on to Dundee (the home of my Cousin Heidi and her family) Dundee is on the river Tay. I went to this great museum today called Verdant Works factory, and my eyes were opened to the history of Dundee. It is known for the 3 Js : Jam, Journalism, and Jute. Basically, it was full of Jute factories that produced Jute from India to make canvas bags, sails, coverings for pioneer wagons, etc. How interesting right?
I was told that the best place to have Fish and Chips was in Scotland. Here is a picture of my delicious fish and chips meal. Chips = fries and Crisps= chips
BRITISH WORD OF THE DAY:  "Chinwag" = a Chat

1 comment:

  1. St Andrews is one of my favorite places. I know you are enjoying Scotland I just hope the rain stops.
    Love,
    Aunt Karen

    ReplyDelete