Sunday, June 26, 2011

London Lady

Home Sweet Home
I cannot begin to tell you how long it takes to upload pictures to my blog here. Because of this, I may be a bit slow with blogging and have less pictures than I had planned. Oh well... So I am officially in London now. The BYU Centre is incredible. The church really scored when they secured this prime real estate right off of Kensington Gardens. The flat is old enough to have had Queen Victoria and Brigham Young stay at the Flat (which they didn't of course, but you get the idea). The woodwork of the building, the ceilings, and the porcelain fireplaces are spectacular. However, with it being so old, it is awfully creaky. You cannot move in the house without being heard. I am living on the top floor with eleven other girls. The room is kind of divided in two, so it is more like 5 other girls. Being on the top floor means that I get a lot of stair exercise and it is always warm at night.

(Allie and me at Kensington gardens)

Our first full day here, we walked to Westminster Abbey from our flat. My feet were so tired by the end of the day. Westminster Abbey is pretty spectacular. I was floored by the incredible fan vaults in the chapel ceiling. I kept looking up and then looking down to see who I was walking over. Among other greats, I saw the tombs of  William Wilberforce, Queen Elizabeth I, Queen Mary (bloody Mary), Many Edwards and Henrys, Mary Queen of Scots, Dickens, Handel, Darwin, and more. I stood in the "poet's corner" and just soaked in the scene of all these amazing writers all being honored together. And Yes, I did imagine myself as Kate Middleton walking gracefully down the cathedral in her glorious white dress.
Saturday was our "Free day," so I started it out with the most gorgeous run through Kensington Gardens. I think this is going to have to be a daily occurrence. We also went to Portabello Market, which was drenched with people walking from shop to shop. I actually purchased a wallet and an 1882 edition of Robert Browning's poetry (one of my favorites). I had to barder for the book, but I am glad that I did. In the afternoon, a group of us headed to the Victoria and Albert Museum. The walls of the museum display blast marks from the bombings of World War II. I cannot imagine what it would have been like to have those kind of effects of war so close to your home.


We also decided to try our luck at getting tickets to an evening show. We knew it would be a bit hard because it was a Saturday evening, but two girls and I scored some amazing tickets to see "Jersey Boys" for only 25 pounds. I love student discounts. We had amazing seats, and the performance glowed with energy. The audience adored the familiarity of the fantastically sung "You're just too good to be true," "Oh what a night," and "Big girls don't cry." The show did have some heavy language, but overall It was a fantastic performance. I'm afraid most of my money is going to go to these student discount theatre tickets. So if you wonder why I didn't bring you back a mug, or a key chain, or another little trinket, it is because I spent most of my money to see these shows. Can you blame me?

BRITISH PHRASE OF THE DAY: "Shivery Bite" = when you have a little snack while you are swimming.

3 comments:

  1. Looks like your having sooo much fun! Miss you Jen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenny I am jealous. We tried to get Jersey Boys tickets in NYC Thursday but failed. There was only one 1/2 price ticket left. You really made out!
    Sorry it takes so long to upload things but just know I am really enjoying reading about your adventures.
    Love
    Aunt Karen

    ReplyDelete