Monday, June 20, 2011

Crail, Scotland

Welcome To CRAIL
The View from my bedroom window
Welcome to Crail! The most charming wee sea town on the East Neuk of Scotland. My cousin Heidi and her darling family let me join in on their little vacation this weekend. Our house was right on the Harbour, giving us the most glorious views. 
This is our house in Crail 
Lucky for us, the Crail Food Festival was happening during the two days we were there. There were booths set up right outside our front door with lobster, crab, venison, salmon, crepes, smoothies, fresh fruits, cheese, and fresh broccoli. We purchased some broccoli and strawberries that had been picked just that morning and they were quite "moreish" (british for so good that you want seconds).
The festival from our front door

I wandered about the village a couple times just to get a feel for this little sea town. Andrew's mother Anne was with us, and she had owned a flat in Crail before. She shared many stories of the town with me as we wandered around. It was a bit rainy, but the sun came out enough to make it a glorious trip. 
A typical home on the shore. Note the great gardens.
Found this beautiful flower on my little walk.

One morning, we traveled over to Kellie Castle. Sadly, the castle was not open yet, but the gardens were breathtaking. I have never seen such luscious flowers, herbs, vegetables, and everything else green. It was fun to chase Adam around on the green grass. I must say that I thought I would actually be able to catch him, but this five year old out runs me easily. Glad i'm getting my exercise! 
Isla, Heidi, Me, Anne, and Adam in the gardens of Kellie Castle
Kelli Castle
I wish I had more time to share with you  stories of  looking for crabs, watching children games on the shore, seeing a doukett for the first time, eating and loving haggis, but "I'm a wee bit shattered" due to jet lag. Tune in next time for pictures from St. Andrews and my official first dish of Scotland's finest Fish and Chips.

NEW BRITISH PHRASE OF THE DAY: "I'm a bit peckish" = I am a bit hungry.

3 comments:

  1. Lovely photos and fun to share your trip. I just discovered you were keeping up your blog.
    Thanks, I'll follow along.
    Love
    Aunt Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. What gorgeous homes. I would love to retire there, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenny,
    I love reading about your Scotland adventure and can easily imagine you walking the streets of Crail. We were there for a few hours and I thought it was one of the most picturesque towns I had ever seen. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and your pictures.
    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete