Friday, June 24, 2011

The Last Days in Scotland

Broughty Castle (note the kids jumping in th puddle)
Heidi, the kids, and I went to Broughty Castle in the morning one day. This little castle is right on the river Tay. The workers of the Dundee mill used to often holiday at Broughty ferry. This castle is now mostly a museum, but it was fun to see the view over the Tay.
Later in the afternoon, Heidi and I went to Arbroath Abbey. This huge abbey is in ruins now, but it is still so impressive. It is known for its historical connection to Robert the Bruce's letter of Scotland's declaration of independance that he sent to the Pope in order to gain acceptance from the Pope. It lead to a truce between the English King Edward and King Robert of Scotland.

Among the ruins of Arbroath Abbey

How sad it was to leave Scotland, but I will actually be coming back soon on a tour to Edinburgh. I was so lucky to be able to stay with my amazing Family. Not only did the feed me and pay for me constantly, but they also entertained me. Thanks again Heidi and Andrew!
BRITISH PHRASE OF THE DAY - "I'm cheesed off" = I'm angry

1 comment:

  1. Great to see the photos, Jenny. We loved having you, come back soon - maybe next time you'll see some sun!

    ReplyDelete