Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Rite of Passage

There is a certain rite of passage that every true BYU student must go through before they graduate. 

HIKING THE Y!!!!
The Y has always been a beacon for me, telling me that I am in fact almost at my destination of Provo. I love to play "Spy the Y" in the winter time because the white Y hides spectacularly in the white snow. But, I had never actually hiked to the thing.The fact that I am a third year student here at BYU and I have not hiked the Y appalls most people. Well, you can all rest in peace now because I finally hiked to that stunning white beacon on the mountainside. 


The hike is not too strenuous, but it is more difficult than I had expected. It is basically just one switch back after another, but accompanied by a beautiful view of Utah Lake and the Oquirrh Mountains. 
I hiked it with my FHE family at Sunset. The lake was absolutely glistening in the glow of the setting Sun. Once at the Y, you have the option of hiking to the bottom of the Y or the top part of the Y. I went to the bottom and hiked right up the middle of the Y, so I could boast that I truly hiked the whole Y.


Up close, the rocks smothered in white paint that make the Y look like melted marshmallows. Similar to when you make rice krispe treats and the marshmallows have not completely melted yet.
They say that if you lay upside down on the Y it feels as if you are falling off the Earth. I had to try it. I must admit that I was a bit scared of lying upside down on this huge slope, so I asked my roommate to hold my ankles. As I leaned back, I saw the sky and the stars and then the city lights. I was upside down on a mountain and it did feel a bit like falling off the Earth.


This is me falling off the earth!

The FHE FAM!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment