Saturday, January 6, 2018

2017 Year In Review

A year ago, I was unsteady and uncertain about embarking into 2017. You can read all about it here. But this year has been more than I ever expected.

India
I had the once in a lifetime opportunity to travel to India for my friend's wedding. It feels like a strange dream now, but it happened and I wrote about some of it here. My favorite experience was celebrating with Aarti and Deepak and discovering Hindu wedding rituals. The amount of love and generosity we received from Aarti's family was remarkable. It was also a great adventure to be back together with my 7 roommates from college. 24 hour plane rides can't stop us! 

New York / Connecticut / DC 
After the most stressful semester of my existence so far, Andrea and I decided to take a break on the East Coast. We walked and ate our way through two of the best cities stopping at every art museum along the way. 


Moab / Mesa Verde 
Tammy, Grace, Mom, and I ventured down south for some hiking. Some of my favorite moments were back bending with Grace in front of an arch and cheering my mom on as she maneuvered her way through tunnels and up ladders at Mesa Verde.
 


Chicago/ Michigan 
2017 marks my first time to the Windy City, and you know what? I really liked it. Chicago has a feel all its own. I especially loved the Art Institute. However, I also loved being in Michigan to celebrate my cousin's wedding.

St. George 
Thanks to the Hales for buying a beautiful property in St. George, we had the chance to spend some time in St. George this year. I've discovered a new appreciation for that city of red plateaus. I especially enjoy swimming with the kids and hiking around Snow Canyon. 

San Diego
2017 also marked the first year for our Thorup family reunion. We settled on San Diego because we love the beach and because my dad loved San Diego. Between Sea World, Lego Land, and the San Diego Zoo, we were constantly on the go. However, we made sure to have a few beach days for building sand castles and boogie boarding. We began the first Thorup family Boogie boarding school for all the little ones. They did great! 

Shakespeare Festival 
I discovered the Student Pass at the Utah Shakespeare Festival this year--it is a total steal. It also just so happened to be the year As You Like It was being performed, which is the play featured most prominently in my Thesis.  

Defending my Thesis 
I successfully defended my Thesis this year! According to my committee, it was one of the most enjoyable thesis defenses they've ever attended at BYU. I feel like I've actually accomplished something i'm proud of, that I could claim as a contribution to society, even though I know that likely no one will read it. 

Applying to PhD programs
The end of this year has been filled and flustered by PhD applications. I never intended to go to a PhD program. I'm surprised by the possibility. However, there is something inside of me pushing me to do it. It just feels like I'm supposed to try. So...I'm going to try. I've applied to 8 schools. Cross your fingers for good news in 2018! 

New Babies 
We welcomed two new little ones into our family this year: James Wise Thorup on Oct 31st and Harrison Robert Thorup on December 21st!

Bravery 
I tried some new things this year: I took a contemporary dance class, I started Bikrum Yoga (more affectionately known as Hot Yoga), and I attempted to be more brave with my heart. Even though that hurt more often than not, it somehow healed a lot of the ache. Explain that one to me! 




But amidst all of these adventures there are always the simple pleasures of the every day: teaching, writing, reading, laughing with friends, spending time with family, etc. It's a good life.

So here's to 2018. I'm feeling pretty good about you, so please don't disappoint ;-) 

No comments:

Post a Comment