Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Defined by Numbers

I decided last night that I don't want to be defined by numbers. 
I am not the size etched in the waistline of my jeans. 
I am not an age
I am not a percentage 
I am not a test score
I am not a number. 

When I think to the times my heart sinks the most, it is often in the realization of man's inhumanity to man. During the Holocaust, one way the victims were dehumanized was through losing their names and identities. Each person was assigned and branded a number to replace their name. Similarly, slaves and prisoners were also branded with numbers. I think to one of my favorite musicals, "Les Miserables," where Jean Valjean is referred to as 24601 in the very opening song:

JAVERT: "Five years for what you did
The rest because you tried to run
Yes, 24601"
JEAN VALJEAN: "My name is Jean Valjean"
JAVERT: "And I am Javert
Do not forget my name!
Do not forget me, 24601"

Thankfully, I am not branded with a number in this manner. However, I see people define themselves with statistics and numbers all the time. I do not want numbers to define who I am. I am not a number; I cannot be a number because a number has no way of grasping my entirety. A number doesn't show you how funny my hair looks in the morning, or the way I crinkle my nose when I laugh. Yes, numbers can do amazing things in computers, machines, codes, etc. But, they cannot define who I am; that power is all mine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment