Thursday, August 9, 2012

Catch a Wave and you're sitting on top of the World

Welcome to one of my favorite places of all time - The Outer banks of North Carolina! Since I have a lot of family living in Virginia, it has been a tradition to drive down to North Carolina and spend time on the beach together. The drive down was a bit scarier this year as the car I sat in hydro-planed and spun off the road knocking into a sign and giving me the scare of my life. There's nothing like a close call like that to remind you of your own mortality and miraculous survival. It was a blessing no one was hurt and we made it safely to our final destination. 

In the beginning, we packed all of our families into this one or two roomed beach house called "The Sandspur." It has gone down in history as our humble beginnings and the spot where we survived at least two hurricanes. But as our family expanded, we needed an upgrade. We left our little "Sandspur" (shown on the left) and have started packing our clan into some beautiful beach palaces. This year's house was called "Fish Tales"

I love the beach. I believe in the healing power of the salty water and also the terrifying thrill of crashing waves. There is nothing like staring at a gigantic wave knowing you have one second to decide if you will ride this wave all the way to shore on your boogie board or let it completely smash over you. Riding on top of a wave truly feels like sitting on top of the world, but it feels even better when you look over and realize people you love are riding it with you. 
I don't like sand in my swimming suit, but I do love to feel the sand between my toes as I go searching for sea shells and dolphins jumping in the waves. It was fun to spend so much time together as a family splashing in the ocean and the pool. 
Brother and Sister
When the ocean tires you out for the night, there is always the lure of a sunset walk along the beach or a run  down the cool sand dunes at Jockey's Ridge Park. 
With Mary and Emma

Heading to the Giant Sand Dunes
The ocean waves always seem to call me back despite sun burns, jelly fish stings, and tumbles along the ocean floor. Thank you Outer banks for the memories and the lovely tan. 

No comments:

Post a Comment