Sunday, June 24, 2012

Summertime and the Livin' is Easy

Oh Summer! There's nothing quite like it. Bonfires, trips to the zoo, ice cream, swimming, and cool summer evening walks. Every summer I make a "Goals List" for myself of fun things I want to accomplish before the Summer is over. My list this year includes:

  • Go to a Drive in Movie
  • Catch a wave on a boogie board in both the Pacific and Atlantic Oceans
  • Build a Sandcastle
  • Read at least 3 books
  • Try a new recipe and new restaurant
  • Go to an art museum
  • Become more informed about the political candidates 
And the list goes on...but, one thing I really wanted to accomplish this summer was PLANTING A VEGETABLE GARDEN!!! I consulted with my parents about where in the garden I would be able to start planting. We walked around the garden and found little promise, but being the best Dad in the world, my Dad told me he would build me a box garden for my vegetables. My Dad is like that. I'll express my dreams and desires, and somehow even when it doesn't seem possible, he'll help me realize them. 

After the beautiful excitement of shopping for my vegetables, I finally put my new babies into the ground. I've loved watching them grow a little bit each day and smelling the sweet herbs on my hands. There is something so satisfying about having fresh vegetables and herbs, and knowing that you grew them yourself. 
Here's my wonderful box garden
 
The beginnings of a sweet pepper
The Tomatoes 
And what is Summer without fresh Raspberries?
Every time I walk by my garden, I envision all of the delicious dishes I will be able to make with this fresh produce. YUM!!! Stay tuned for pictures of my homemade pizza with fresh tomatoes, Zucchini, Peppers, and Basil. 
The hardest thing about the Summer is the heat, but somehow we survive. Two great ways to survive the hot summer 
1. Go to the Pool

2. Get Gelato (which I do probably more than I should)

However you are celebrating Summer, I hope you are enjoying yourself! Feel free to stop by anytime and I will gladly show you my veggie garden...I may even give you a taste! 

No comments:

Post a Comment