Sunday, June 17, 2012

A Puny Poet

Some of you may know that my nearly 3 year old niece lives with me and that because of this, my days are endless surprises and joyful noises. Today, my little one was sitting on the roof of her doll house playing the harmonica. I pointed out that she was like the Fiddler Crab on the Roof (a kids show reference alluding to Fiddler on the Roof), except that she was playing the Harmonica of course.

She calmly stated: "No, I'm just a girl and I speak a different language."
I kind of chuckled to myself because the truth is that girls often speak a language all there own. Then my puny poet offered up some beautiful prose. 
"Jenny, listen to my music. It is my heart singing"
Grace has been talking a lot about her heart telling her things lately. She learned how to pump on the swing because her heart taught her. She says that her heart has a BIG MOUTH. I wish my heart had as big a mouth as hers does. Sometimes I worry that I let my head speak too much for my heart.  
But I have to agree with Gracie here. When I play music or sing it does feel as if my heart is singing. I think that is the only way to describe the feeling I have when I listen to certain classical pieces - my heart is singing along.

Grace then gave me some great advice. "Sing your great music up into the air!"
It doesn't matter how you sing, or if you don't sing at all...just let your heart sing your great music up into the air. I promise you that it will be one of the most stress relieving activities you've tried in a long time.
 
And just for kicks and giggles: Grace informed me that she speaks Spanish and I told her I did too. She proceeded to mumble something completely unintelligible which she thought was Spanish. I asked her what that sentence meant in English. 
"It means you speak Spanish in China, but whisper only in Chinese"


3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you got some of these wonderful comments written down. Grace is so sincere and so funny. That last comment sounds like a great proverb ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see you all in less than a month! It is fun to hear about our little "harmonica player on the roof."
    Love
    Aunt Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to see you all in less than a month! It is fun to hear about our little "harmonica player on the roof."
    Love
    Aunt Karen

    ReplyDelete