Monday, May 21, 2018

Morning Glow: Wake Up Slow

I have a secret pleasure--waking up slowly. It's my term for waking up without any alarm and without any need to rush out of bed. I love it. This might surprise you since I am a go getter with a productivity complex. But despite the fact that I'm not someone who has a difficult time waking up, and that I never press the snooze button (I didn't even know the purpose of said button until College), I love wasting time in bed. I get up when I need to get up, but when I don't NEED to get up, I sometimes just don't.

There's something about the stillness of morning air, the birds singing, the sun beams filling a room up with the radiance of light, and the recognition of my body wrapped in cotton sheets and fluffy down. It's my thinking time. It's my dreaming time. It's my planning time. It's my cuddle time. 

I wonder if this love of morning moments might have stemmed from the many mornings as a kid when I would sneak into my parents' bedroom and crawl in bed with my mom. We'd cuddle together and both fall back asleep. 

The romantic in me wants to believe that these morning moments are even better when shared with another person. That someone's head on this empty pillow and another pair of feet twisting in and out of the comforter might make these moments glimmer even more. The realist in me knows that sometimes people don't like to be cuddled, don't like to be washed over with another's body heat, don't like to be still when so much is calling them out and about, don't like to pillow talk, and don't wake up at the same time without an alarm clock. I realize that, more often than not, I might keep these morning moments to myself and for myself. 

But, there's just something about it. 




No comments:

Post a Comment