Tuesday, December 3, 2013

What can I give him?

"What can I give him?
Poor as I am.
If I were a Shepherd, I would bring a Lamb. 
If I were a Wise man, I would do my part.
Yet, what I can- I give him.
Give my heart" 

"In the Bleak Midwinter" is one of those Christmas carols that isn't played on the radio often, but I adore it. Even though it likely wasn't snowy or midwinter when Christ was actually born, I don't think that matters much. Even if the earth wasn't "hard as iron, water like a stone", I feel that sometimes our hearts are that way - frozen, hardened, cold, and with one good hit - shards of ice. But, when we give our heart away, or simply open it to let in the love from others...warmth engulfs us. 

Angels and arch angels may have gathered at Christ's birth. Kings in royal regalia and shepherds with wet earth on their shoes knelt before him. If I had been there, what would I have given the babe? Yes, my heart--with all its longing and love. But, what else? It's an interesting thought. I suppose I would give him a smile, a kiss, and a lullaby.

What will you bring the babe in the manger? Merry Christmas

1 comment: