Monday, June 17, 2013

Too School for Cool

 It's happening. I knew it would eventually happen, but now that I am here it just doesn't feel right. I've been a student for seventeen years.

 In all honesty, I don't remember much of those four-five years before I entered kindergarten, so school as really been all I've ever known in some ways. Sure, I'll admit that there have been those days where I whined about homework, tests, teachers, etc. but all in all I really always loved school.

Even now as I walk across campus for what might be my last time as a student, I love the feeling that I belong here. I love the backpack on my back, the books in my hand, sitting at the desk and unloading my water bottle, notebook, and pen automatically. I thrive on the "I'm-in-the-zone" writing phase where words seem to pour out into 5, 10, 15 page papers as time ticks by. The wonderful feeling when you press the "print" button and realize you just added something to the world.

Looking back on it, maybe I was a bit too school for cool. I was a student first and foremost. I didn't do many wild and crazy things like most college students. Perhaps I missed out...but I think if I had it all to do over again, I know I still would have given it my all. I'm here to learn after all, and I certainly learned a lot. In the classroom I learned how to think and analyze, I learned how to not be afraid of research papers, I learned about the world, I learned about the sky, I learned about the gospel, geology, politics, history, the scriptures, literature, art, music, photography, film, folk dance, tap dance, marriage, child development, mythology, and the list goes on and on.

But perhaps the better list is the list of what I learned outside of the classroom. To do it complete justice, I would have to blog about each bullet point separately and add many more bullet points, but here goes nothing;
  • I learned about friendships- the ones that stick together through all the hard times and make every day worth while.
  • I learned about families - the way they rally together to help one another and the way I've totally taken for granted the amazing family I have. 
  • I learned about myself- I came into my own- so to speak. I discovered my identity outside of "the singer," "the nice girl", or even "the student." I have passions, dreams, hopes, fears, and all of them create a special me. 
  • I learned the joy of Zumba dancing and cooking
  • I learned how to lip trill :) 
  • I learned that it is ok to be spontaneous every now and then. 
  • I learned that I'm stronger than I thought 
  • I learned the power of hope and faith in the midst of trials 
  • I learned that I can overcome fears 
  • I learned the joy of frozen grapes and British herbal teas
  • I learned that I can juggle work, school, friends, family, exercise, sleep, and do it gracefully!
The list goes on! It's sad that my career as a student may be coming to a close, but they say that Every New Beginning Comes from Some other Beginning's end. So here's to beginning something new. Something unknown and exciting. At least I can find comfort in the knowledge that I'm bound to continue learning and growing even outside the classroom. So here I am- Jennifer Thorup BYU Graduate! 


2 comments:

  1. Congratulations! A new and exciting time is going to begin but one can never help feeling a little maudlin when thinking of those focused College years.
    You will succeed at anything your try but it may not be in ways you expect. On to new adventures.
    Love
    Aunt Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I never really left college as I now teach it ;) but there is something sad about ending when you are as gifted at school as u are. Who knows...u may be back sooner than u think.

    ReplyDelete