Friday, February 17, 2012

Cilantro Bunches


Don't you love the smell of Cilantro on your hands? I do! But here's the thing...you only ever use like a few tablespoons of Cilantro for most recipes, but it is sold in a huge bundle. The bundle is such a small price, you can't turn down buying it and then you are stuck with a bundle of Cilantro that ends up going brown and slimy before you can ever use it all. Yes, I am speaking from experience. I tried very hard this week to make a least one meal a day with cilantro and I still had to throw out my slimy bunch of Cilantro today. Tsk. Oh well. So if you happen to have a bunch of Cilantro in your fridge and have no idea what to do with it, here are some ideas!
I have to preface that practically all of these recipes came from a wonderful cooking blog I've been following, so if you want the recipe just follow the link!

1. Cilantro Lime Shrimp ( I made this at least 3 times!)

It is super easy and quick to make, but the lime and garlic are delicious together. I actually substituted garlic powder for the actual garlic cloves and it turned out just fine. Get the Recipe Here

2. Black Bean Salad 


Prepare your mouth for an explosion of red onion deliciousness! Once again, I tweaked the recipe a bit to work with my college food supply (I used canned corn, can of diced tomatoes, no avocado or scallion) Get this recipe here!

3. Coconut Cilantro Brown Rice
This recipe just adds a hint of flavor to the rice. I actually like to eat it with the Lime Cilantro Shrimp on top! You can find this recipe HERE

4. My actual creation was just a simple chicken breast fried up with lemon pepper seasoning and olive oil. Then I just tossed it with some cilantro. Nothing fancy.

I enjoyed my cilantro week and maybe one day I will actually be able to use all of the cilantro before it goes bad. If you have any great Cilantro recipes...feel free to share them!

Oh and P.S.- THANK YOU to all of you who contacted me through comments, emails, phone calls, or texts, to let me know that you thought I was a good writer. I had a bit of a writer's identity crisis this week, but you've all repaired me and lifted my spirits...I thank you for that!

3 comments:

  1. Jenny, I've never tried it, but I'm told you can chop cilantro and add a little oil and freeze in ice cube trays and then toss into recipes as needed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good receipes
    You can also get cilantro with roots and stick it in a pot. They you just use what you need.
    Love
    Aunt Karen

    ReplyDelete