Saturday, July 30, 2011

Punting on the Cam

Last Wednesday, a small group of girls and I went to Cambridge for the day. My cousin Diana was a recent Cambridge student at Trinity College, so I had all the good advice on what to see and do.
One of our directors had connections to get us a private tour with a student through Penbroke College. It was so interesting to see what university life is like in a place like Cambridge. It is quite different from the BYU lifestyle that I am used to. People actually get to wear robes like in Harry Potter!
After our little tour, we stopped by the Fudge Kitchen for a free sample of Toffee fudge. Yum! We also walked around the street market.

 My Cousin warned us that some pseudo attractive young men would try to tempt us to join their punting tours, and she was right. However, the first guy that approached us gave us the best deal imaginable!
He offered the seven of us a private tour for a total of 50 pounds - that is basically 7 pounds for each person! We asked some of the other "punters" for quotes, and they were all floored that we were offered that price. Most children tickets are 8 pounds. Punting is so fun and beautiful! It is similar to Gondolas in Venice, but the punters are attractive young men instead of old Italian guys.

The tour took us along the Cam river behind all of the colleges and under the beautiful bridges. Our tour guide, Sam, was really sweet and friendly. You'll notice his toned arms in the picture above. My sister tried punting herself when she was on her study abroad, and every time I saw someone attempting their best to punt, I chuckled imagining a twenty year old Tammy doing the same.
BRITISH PHRASE OF THE POST - "Bob's your Uncle" = "And that's all!"

1 comment:

  1. Yeah 20-year-old me and yeah for those witty young men who punt so much better than me...and ARE truly very cute.

    ReplyDelete